Computers have grown from being an option into a necessity in every modern office and household. There may be no sphere of life where computer application has not reached. When computers are used for a prolonged period of time they can result in many eye complaints. The complaints may be headache, eye-strain, dryness of eye, burning sensation of eyes etc.This usually occurs in people who spends on an average of more than 2 hours in front of any visual display unit and the computer professionals are most vulnerable because they have to spend more time in front of the Visual Display Unit (VDU).
CVS Or VDU syndrome may occur due to many reasons-
Infrequent blinking while working on the computer.
Glare and reflection from the VDU.
Improper ergonomics while working at the computer.
For example sitting in an upright position with good low back support, good arm rests and VDU being aligned below the horizontal of the eye will help the professional to be in a relaxed position.
Prolonged work in front of the VDU should be substituted for work with frequent breaks in between which should be utilized to relax the mind and body including the eye. One should practice to blink in between. Anti reflection screens and proper lighting at the place of work can further decrease the strain. The optimum distance of the VDU from the eye is 20-30 inches.
The many complaints that one may present with are
- Eye strain
- Dry eyes
- Red eye
- Blurring of vision
- Irritation in the eye
- Watering of eyes
- Double vision
- Changes in appreciation of colour.
The main causes are
- Prolonged use of VDU
- Improper lighting
- Excess glare
- Bad posture
To prevent VDU syndrome one can try the following measures.
- If you have any refractive error, consult your eye specialist and use the proper lenses at the time of work.
- Use measures to reduce glare and reflection from the display screen.
- Keep the VDU below the horizontal of the eye.
- Use ergonomically designed seats to sit comfortably
- Have the proper lighting in the room
- Take frequent breaks to relax you eyes.
- If you have any problem consult your doctor. Even otherwise have regular check ups so that small problems may be diagnosed early and rectified.